Monday, January 16, 2012

House Tour: The Study -- Before & After

Just off the living room, the study is one of my favorite spots in the house...probably because I spend so much time in there! It's a great room with lots of light and I like to peek out the windows and daydream a little while I work. 

It started as a 90s nightmare. Okay, that's being a bit dramatic... I'm sure back in the day I would have looooved the hunter green paint and maroon wallpaper border that graced this room. Oh, thank goodness that some things change. Add to that more of the lovely pickled wood and a fancy brass ceiling fan and I'm sure this was the perfect place for some mid-90s productivity.

The transformation was pretty easy here -- painted out the woodwork (a dark, dark gray that reads gray/brown), walls, and plantation shutters, replaced the brass doorknobs with black levers, and carried the hardwoods from the adjoining formal living room. You also might have noticed here, and in the living room, we changed the direction that the wood floors run -- much better flow and continuity, I think. I know a chandelier would have looked great here, but I tend to run hot when I'm working so I had to go for the the ceiling fan. Maybe someday I'll have less work to do and can add some kind of chandy, but in the meantime, I need a breeze, man.

The details:
Walls: Sherwin Williams Thunder Gray
Trim and Woodwork: Sherwin Williams Dover White
French Doors: Sherwin Williams Dover White
Wood Floors: Custom stain mix, satin finish
Ceiling Fan: Lowe's

*BEFORE*





*AFTER*




Coming up next, our adorable powder bathroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop us a line!